Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Project Test One: Birdhouse

Hey everyone!

I just finished up the first project that I will be discussing on here.
But first, let me share a little story of how the project came to fruition.

It all started at the dollar store...

    Two days ago my older sister and I took our weekly trip to Dollar General. I normally like to go in there purely for the savings, and sometimes manage finding interesting things to transform or aid me in my process. Easter just visited us last Sunday and now dollar general has all Easter gear on clearance. So, perusing down this wonderful little half-isle gave me a wonderful idea. Located amongst all of the plastic eggs, fake grass, and bunny ears, were these cute little gift boxes shaped like houses.
     At only fifty cents a piece, I couldn't resist. I didn't have any ideas yet, but I knew they could be fun to play with. I bought three of them. Bringing them home, I proceeded to stare at them for the next three hours, figuring out something clever to do that incorporates the house shape into it. Then it hit me...birdhouse. So, I rolled my sleeves up and this is what I came up with.


   
    I'm thrilled with the end result of this project. This was also my first experience with successful decoupaging( note the word successful.)I used a DIY Modge Podge recipe and it worked out quite well. The recipe is quite simple, one part Elmers school glue to 1 part water, shake, and voila!
    Since the project was such a success, I will be posting a DIY tutorial on how to make them.They are quite simple to do and would be a great way to kick start the blog. I thought these would look adorable as wall hangings in the house, or even attached to a wreath (spring is coming!) I am also going to try to search the inter web on places where these boxes can be purchased, or find a sufficient replacement that are always in season (damn Holiday clearance...)

    Stay tuned!...



No comments:

Post a Comment